Tuesday 5 May 2015

Nail Ad Design + Moodboard


FACE CHART + MOODBOARD

I really want to make it clear, that I completely understand that people would expect me be to be doing a perfume ad to represent my chosen brand- Giorgio Armani. However, why would I want to do what people expect? Planning this shoot in particular required the most thought and really challenged me to think of something different and unique. I wanted to inc-operate shadow and bright colour, as used in previous lip campaigns I have researched. With this I had in mind a concept that was coordinated in lip and more importantly nail colour, as this will in fact be a nail ad. 


GOBO GALORE
Gobo lighting is a concept that me and my chosen photographer had discussed but are hesitant to use, simply because there is only one gobo light as university amongst thousands of students. If this wasn't tricky enough, we also need to decide on a whole concept, pattern to create shadow with/ against. It takes a lot of planning and work to get the shadowing right, and the lighting at the right balance. The reason I want to really use this photography technique is to create a striking shadow, some texture in the shadows and more importantly, to really make my design pop.

LADY IN RED
This whole concept and idea of using red initially, came from being inspired by the Giorgio Armani lips advert that involved beat boxing (see previous posts). I want to really bring out the coordination of lips and nails for the ad, and make them stand out in the shadow. For the lips I will be using a matte red lip colour, that will vary in tone according to my model's skin colour. Ideally I would like to use a pure red, that isn't dark but isn't a brick red with blatant blue undertones. To match this I will be using a pure red nail polish and  a minimal, soft brown cut crease look- very Miss Monroe. 

DONUT & PLAIT
For this design, I most definitely want the hair out of the face, but still looking chic and slicked back. Although the hair won't be the main focus of the shot, I still would like to experiment with my hair skills, show development and show that I know, what works best with what. Although the hair looks reasonably easy because I will be using an accessory, it in fact challenges me in regards to getting it up in the right position, making it slick as possible and most tediously- dealing with baby hair.


Despite the hideous smudge you can see quite obviously on this face chart, it is in fact the design I chose to go for, for my Giorgio Armani Nail Ad Shoot. The skin will be matte and slightly more flawless in coverage in order to create the perfect contrast against the gobo lighting and shadow. I will use a powder bronze shade to contour the skin beautifully, and sculpt it as my model has a fairly rounded face. For the eyebrows, I want them to be full but not a scouse brow in any way, shape or form. MAC 'Cork' or 'Espresso' are usually a perfect combination for filling in medium to dark hair. The eyes will be primed with MAC 'Painterly' paint pot, which will act as a base skin-tone colour for the lids. I will be cutting the crease with a mixture of both 'Soft Brown' and 'Espresso' by MAC.. again- can you tell I like these shades? I want the lid to be completely bare to contrast the crease, almost like an old Hollywood eye look. Monroe eat your heart out. The lashes will be wispy with a light coating of mascara, a natural flare that will still add length and volume.  Finally, for the lips I will be using Kryolan Aquacolor red shades mixed to create a perfect matte red shade for my model's skin tone. I chose to use aquacolor because it stays in tact for a ridiculous amount of time, doesn't look pigment or finish AND applies precisely to create shape. 

Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome of my design, minus the large black smudge. I feel like this whole look comes together really nicely, and adds a more glamorous effect to my Giorgio Armani portfolio. I felt the choices I have made are very appropriate to my chosen brand, and more than anything I actually gained inspiration for this shoot first and foremost, from Giorgio Armani beauty, and their products. I feel the red is a great link to the Rouge Ecstasy and Lip Maestro range, coordinates with these red packaged products and can be associated with that infamous red lip.

No comments:

Post a Comment